If you want to replace the frame on your Jeep TJ, you may wonder what the cost is. Well, we are here to help you through the cost of replacing your Jeep TJ frame so that you can make the best decision for your Jeep.
how much does Jeep TJ frame replacement cost? There are three major components to the replacement cost of a Jeep TJ frame: the frame, labor, and parts. Depending on its condition, labor costs for replacing a frame range between $900 and $2,000. The parts cost between $500 and $2,000, and the frame costs between $100 and $1,000.
In this article, we’ll cover how much frame repair for Jeep costs and factors that influence the frame replacement cost, among other things.
What You Need To Know About The Jeep TJ Frame Replacement Cost
The Jeep’s frame is the vehicle’s skeleton, containing the vehicle’s main components, such as the engine, drivetrain, suspension, and body. The frame can become damaged over time, and if it is not repaired or replaced, it can cause various problems.
Besides, the frame is the most expensive part of a Jeep, so replacing it is also costly. The cost of the TJ frame itself will depend on the year the Jeep Wrangler TJ and your TJ frame Jeep condition.
So, if the TJ frame is in good condition, you won’t need to do too much work on it, and you can get away with just repairing the frame. The more extensive damage, the more you require additional labor and parts. However, remember these facts before you plan your budget.
Likewise, the type of frame you also choose matters; OEM frames are the frames that come with the vehicle when it is newly purchased. These frames are typically costly but are also the most reliable. OEM frames usually cost anywhere from $1000 to $2,000.
The other type is aftermarket frames which are not made by the manufacturer but are still designed to fit the specific model of the Jeep. These frames are usually cheaper than OEM frames, but they may not be more reliable and durable. Their price ranges from $500-$800.
Finally, there are custom frames designed to fit the specific needs of the Jeep. They can be made from various materials and are usually the most expensive. They go for about $1500-$3000.
In addition to the frame itself, you’ll need to factor in labor costs, which can easily double the cost of the frame itself. That includes the cost of finding a qualified mechanic to install the frame.
It’s essential to ensure you find a reputable mechanic experienced with Jeep frames, so you don’t end up with a shoddy job. The labor costs for an experienced mechanic range from $900-$2000.
If an experienced DIY mechanic replaces the frame, the labor costs may be lower. The price can be around $200-$800.
Also, depending on the frame’s condition, you may need to replace other components. These parts can quickly add up, so it’s important to factor them into your budget when calculating the frame’s cost.
So, the overall replacement cost of a Jeep TJ including labor and parts needed ranges from $5000-$35000.
Other costs to consider when replacing the frame of your Jeep TJ include the following:
- Painting: If you have the frame professionally painted, you can expect to pay anywhere from $250 to $1,000 for the job.
- Suspension Components: If you are replacing your frame, you may also need to replace the suspension components. Depending on the parts you need, this could cost anywhere from $200 to $2,000.
- Drivetrain Components: You may also need to replace the drivetrain components, such as the axles, drive shafts, and transfer case. This could cost anywhere from $500 to $2,000.
- Bodywork: If you are replacing the frame, you may also need to replace the bodywork, which can cost anywhere from $500 to $2,000.
Factors That Can Affect the Cost of a Jeep TJ Frame Replacement
Several factors might make the frame replacement cost vary. They include:
Labor costs vary significantly from location to location. For example, if you’re in a rural area, you may be able to find a local mechanic who can install it for less than a more extensive shop in an urban area.
The complexity of the task
More complex jobs, such as installing an aftermarket frame or upgrading the suspension system, will require more labor and may increase the total cost of the replacement.
Jeep TJs come in two different frame options – the “Standard” and the “Lift” frames. The standard frame is made of lighter-gauge steel, and the Lift frame is made of heavier-gauge steel and is more expensive. Additionally, if you choose to replace a Standard frame with a Lift frame, you’ll need to purchase additional hardware, such as shocks and springs.
Depending on the size of the frame and the distance it needs to be transported, the shipping cost can add up quickly. If you’re purchasing a frame from a different state or country, you may also be responsible for paying import/export fees.
Shop Labor Rates
The cost of labor will depend on the shop’s labor rates. Comparing rates between different shops is crucial to ensure you get the best value.
Quality of Parts
OEM parts are more expensive but are more reliable and have a longer life span. Aftermarket parts are cheaper but may have different quality and durability.
Type of Frame Required
- The most common type of frame used for TJ Jeeps is steel. Steel frames are strong and durable, but they can be pretty heavy. Additionally, steel frames require more labor for installation and may require special welding or other fabrication.
- Aluminum frames are becoming increasingly popular for TJ Jeeps because they are lightweight and require less labor for installation. However, aluminum frames can be more expensive than steel frames and need unique fabrication to install them properly.
- Finally, there are also fiberglass frames available for TJ Jeeps. Fiberglass frames are lightweight and require less labor for installation. However, they can be more prone to damage and need unique fabrication to install them properly.
Availability of Parts
If the parts are widely available, it may be possible to find them at a lower cost. If the parts are not widely known, purchasing them from a specialist supplier may be necessary, which can increase the cost significantly.
Reasons for a TJ Frame Replacement
Over time, the TJ’s frame may experience damage from wear and tear. Therefore, it becomes necessary to replace the frame. Some of the other reasons that lead to a replacement include:
A Jeep TJ frame may need to be replaced due to damage from an accident or collision.
- Rust and corrosion can spread throughout the frame, compromising the vehicle’s structural integrity and leading to a need for a new frame.
- Off-roading, hauling heavy loads, and improper maintenance can lead to extensive damage. If the frame is severely damaged, it may be necessary to replace it to ensure the vehicle’s safety.
How To Save Money When Replacing A TJ Jeep Frame
Replacing a Jeep frame can be costly, but there are ways to save money. They include:
- Find a reliable mechanic or shop that specializes in Jeep frame replacement. A good shop will be able to provide you with an estimate of the cost of the job and offer advice on how to save money.
- Find the best price. Shopping around and comparing prices from different auto parts stores, online retailers, and classified ads is essential. Prices may vary significantly, so it is crucial to take the time to find the best deal.
- Buying used parts. Used parts are often available for a fraction of the cost of new parts, but it is vital to ensure they are in good condition and compatible with the Jeep.
- Another way to save money when replacing your Jeep frame is to do some work yourself. This may include removing the old frame and cleaning and preparing the area for the new frame. Doing some of the work yourself can save you money.
- Join many online groups and forums. People are frequently willing to assist members by selling parts at low prices.
Here are other questions people ask about the Jeep TJ Frame Replace Cost.
How long does it take to replace a Jeep frame?
Replacing a TJ Jeep frame can take anywhere from 20-40 hours, depending on the frame’s condition and the mechanic’s skill
Can I use a Jeep YJ frame to replace a TJ Frame?
Yes, it is possible to use a Jeep YJ frame to replace a TJ frame. The YJ frame is a direct replacement for the TJ frame and can be used with the same components.
The big difference between the two frames is the YJ frame is slightly longer. This means it will require more modifications to the body to fit the longer frame.
Jeep TJ Frame Replacement is Costly, but understanding the costs and factors affecting the total price can help minimize the expense. Labor costs can range from $900 to $2,000, while the other parts costs can range from $500 to $2,000.Location and vehicle condition can also affect the cost of a frame replacement. Additionally, rust and damage are the two most common issues with Jeep TJ frames. By understanding the costs and factors involved in a frame replacement, Jeep owners can get the best price on their frame replacement.
I am Rick Bofia, a Jeep mechanic with a wealth of experience in repairing and maintaining Jeeps of all models and ages. I take pride in my expertise in diagnosing and repairing complex Jeep problems, from engine and transmission issues to suspension and brake system repairs. My passion for Jeeps and my dedication to delivering top-quality services have earned me a reputation as a reliable and trustworthy mechanic in the Jeep community. Whether you need routine maintenance or major repairs, you can trust me to get your Jeep back on the road in optimal condition.