There are just a few cars that can compete with the Jeep Wrangler’s reputation as a tough off-road vehicle. Its unique feature of a USB port within the middle console increases its popularity. However, Jeep Wrangler USB Port Center Console problems could be really serious.
Some problems are no electrical energy in the center console USB, the freezing of music, or the disconnect-reconnect of the device. Also, a sudden glitch can cause frequent disconnection-reconnecting.
In this article, we will dive into various deeper problems with a center console USB port in a jeep wrangler. We will also discuss reasons for such problems and ways to resolve those. So, without further ado, let’s go through the article.
Jeep Wrangler USB Port Center Console Problems And Solution]
There are a few reported problems with the USB ports of the Jeep Wrangler. Those problems are mentioned below:
The USB Port Doesn’t Light Up
The light-up of the USB port indicates that the power connection is alright. But, if they don’t light up with connecting, you cant charge your phone then.
- Firstly, find the fuse panel on the driver’s side of the Wrangler.
- Then, find the diagram or drawing that describes what every fuse does.
- Find the fuse that shares the circuit with the USB port.
- Next, check if the fuse is blown and fix them.
- Lastly, if the USB still doesn’t work, replace it with a new one.
Apple Carplay Freezes
Software issues are responsible for this type of problem. In this case, the Apple Carplay will freeze, but the music will keep playing. This continues for 30 seconds. After that, it will disconnect.
- First, unplug your phone and re-plug it again. Then, the music will start playing again. It’s a temporary solution.
- Another solution to this problem is to plug your phone into other ports except for the center console one.
Disconnecting and Reconnecting Frequently
You may face this type of problem when you try to Carplay from USB-2. But, it’s also not usual to experience this type of problem in every port of your wrangler.
You may notice that the USB keeps disconnecting every 5-10 minutes. After some time, it connects again. This keeps happening in a continuous cycle.
- This problem may occur due to dirt inside the port. So, you have to take steps to clean those.
- Lastly, consult with a professional mechanic to fix this issue.
USB Stops Operating Suddenly
You may notice that there is power in the Carplay when you are driving. Therefore, the USB will stop functioning all of a sudden.
- First, you need to stop your car and have to come out.
- Then, after 10-15 minutes, check if it solves the problem or not.
- Next, check if the USB is working or not.
- For this, check the manual and fuses 11, 51, 97, and 101.
Dislodged Console USB
When you try to plug your phone charger into the USB port forcefully, there is a high risk of dislodging.
There is a high chance that you will find the USB port already dislodge. Sometimes, you won’t find any USB port in the hole.
- Remove the two Phillips screws on each side of the back of the console.
- Then, try to reach inside the console.
- Remove the plastic trim from each side of the shifter.
- Next, lift the back of the console.
- Now, try to find the loose wires.
- After that, you need to slide tracks on the connectors from the passenger t driver.
- Now, you can find the port in the right location.
Disconnects With The Movement Of The Device
Sometimes, this problem occurs if you try to connect your phone to the center console USB for listening to music. The music plays only if you don’t move your device.
In this case, you can’t move your device and need to keep them still. Otherwise, the music stops playing and will disconnect.
- This problem occurs due to the damaged port.
- Firstly, contact your jeep’s manufacturer for a warranty to cover replacing the port.
- Replace the old port with a new USB port and wiring.
Carplay Stops Working After Being Connected To USB 2 In The Center Console
This problem mainly arises in iPhones. In USB2, the iPhone will work fine for a few minutes. But, soon, it will freeze, which means it’s going to disconnect soon. Temporarily, it will work if you unplug and plug your iPhone again. But the problem will occur again after a few minutes.
This issue occurs because Apple might’ve blocked the Carplay in the system of USB 2. Instead, they rerouted the port to the media hub.
- Change the name and reset the network setting of your phone.
- Forget the phone in projection and Bluetooth settings on disconnect.
- After that, your iPhone will also work fine on the port. But make sure that the name doesn’t change again to iPhone. Otherwise, it will disconnect again.
Jeep Wrangler Usb Port Center Console Problems [Reasons]
Multiple numbers of reasons might be responsible for the problems with the jeep wrangler USB port. Before fixing them, first, you need to know the clear reasons why they occur. We enlisted some of those reasons. Those are;
- There might be some shortcomings in your Wrangler software or hardware.
- As they remain open, there are higher chances of particles such as food, dust, and debris getting into the ports.
- Trying to connect the USB in the wrong way.
- The connecting cable becomes frayed, kinked, worn, and damaged.
- Due to shutting down of the electricity serving circuit to the USB.
- When the USB ports become too damaged to function properly.
Basic Steps to Follow When Center Console USB Port Stops Working
Here are a few ways that you should follow initially when the center console USB port isn’t working:
|Check for debris||USB ports of the jeep remain open. Thus, they are pretty prone to getting particles or debris inside. So, it is essential to check those USB ports if any particles are in the way.||Some issues occur due to the loose USB port. For this, you don’t have to take your Jeep to the mechanics. You better focus on tightening the USB port so that it can hold the device.|
|Inspection of USB port||Some issues occur due to the loose USB port. For this, you don’t have to take your jeep to the mechanics. You better focus on tightening the USB port so that it can hold the device.||Insert the USB cable, then wiggle it. Find the two pin holder that acts as support. Pull up and tighten the two pin holders using any sharp edge object.|
|Turning off and on of engine||Sometimes the USB port doesn’t work, even if it is connected tightly. In this case, you have to apply this method.||Switch off the engine of your vehicle.Simple turn it on again.|
|Replacement||If you tried all the above methods and still the problem is not fixed, then might be an issue with the USB cord.||Buy a new USB cord from a gas station mini-mart, tech store, or grocery store.Replace the old one with your new-bought USB cord.|
In this section, we are going to remove your remaining confusion. Here, we will answer a few commonly asked questions about Jeep Wrangler and USB Port Center Console Problems.
What to do when Carplay works but the phone doesn’t charge?
Your backdated USB model can be responsible for that. So, if you use a USB C, replace that with a USB A.
If you use a USB A, you will be able to charge your phone too. You can also enjoy wireless charging and car play facilities if you use a cigarette lighter charger and car Link 3.0 respectively.
What are the locations of USB ports in a Jeep Wrangler?
There are many USB ports available in a jeep wrangler. In the media hub of the console, you will find two USB ports. There is also an extra USB port which is located in the center armrest. Also, you will find more additional ports for rear seat access.
Is wireless Carplay available in the Jeep Wrangler?
Yes. Wireless Carplay is available in the Jeep Wrangler. That means this doesn’t require any wiring or physical connection between the phone and the car. The new model of Wrangler is compatible with Apple’s latest technology.
Why USB-A Cord work Finely in the Dashboard but Shows a Problem in the Center console USB port of the Jeep Wrangler?
In this case, Carplay randomly disconnects, charging interrupts, and restarts the backup. It does occur due to wiring problems. Instead, software issues are the main culprit here. For this, a dealer or service department needs to look into this problem.
Jeep Wrangler has multiple USB ports in its feature. Among them, the center console USB port is the most convenient for passengers. Because they can easily access this USB port to connect their device for charging or various purposes.
If you are here from the start, then you might know about Jeep Wrangler USB Port Center Console Problems. Dirt and debris damaged fuse and cable may cause the disconnection problem. Sometimes, a car’s software or hardware problem can result in a faulty Center console USB port.
You need to identify the causes of those problems. Then, you can fix them easily. If the problem is complicated, we suggest you consult with a professional mechanic.
I am Rick Bofia, a Jeep mechanic with a wealth of experience in repairing and maintaining Jeeps of all models and ages. I take pride in my expertise in diagnosing and repairing complex Jeep problems, from engine and transmission issues to suspension and brake system repairs. My passion for Jeeps and my dedication to delivering top-quality services have earned me a reputation as a reliable and trustworthy mechanic in the Jeep community. Whether you need routine maintenance or major repairs, you can trust me to get your Jeep back on the road in optimal condition.